Saturday, May 25, 2024

Start of a Vacation ©Leonard Rebello

Me and my family are waiting eagerly to get into our AC coach while standing on the platform in the burning summer heat for our long distance train. Our train is running about half an hour late. 

©Leonard Rebello

Yes I am irritated . Irritated by the delay, by the terrible heat,by the dusty platform we are standing on,by the noisy surroundings, irritated by the bag on my shoulders carrying my camera,lens and other gear which seems to get heavier as the minutes pass.My face wears a scowl and frustrated at not being able to do anything I bang my leg on the platform floor...

My young son senses something amiss and gives his father a sudden hug and my daughter looks at me with concern and lovingly hands me her cold thermos and urges me to take a sip.I accept the flask thankfully and take a long sip of the cold orange drink. 

©Leonard Rebello

Then in all this mess my wife nudges and with only her eyes points me to a family, three tiny kids, almost infants,with their father... sitting on the platform,in the dust,in the heat,all of their clothes are dirty and torn and hungrily they are nudging their father towards the food and drink stall. The father counts and recounts the change that he has in his hands and gently and painfully nudges his head negatively.

I definitely know what my better half wants me to do but I abhor attention and hate being seen to be patronizing specially to the less fortunate in front of my two young and impressionable kids.

 ©Leonard Rebello

I gently slip off and lay down my heavy camera bag from my shoulders and step up towards the food stall. As I reach for my wallet in my cargoes I notice and touch a soft hand clutching and trying to unzip the pocket. I look down into two innocent eyes of my son who smiles shyly and hands me my wallet. 

I pay for four milkshake cold drinks and two big water bottles and some biscuits and request the shopkeeper to pls share it alongwith the remaining change with the family. 

©Leonard Rebello

I quickly get back to my waiting family and noticing the train arriving slip on the heavy bag once again on my shoulders. As we get inside the chilled envirns of the train my heart skips a beat as I look out from the sealed window I see the family enjoying the drinks, but for the father who is now kneeling down hands raised in thanks to heaven, tears streaming past his happy face.... Besides me my son looks and smiles at me.... It's a Lovely beginning to an amazing vacation... 

©Leonard Rebello 


No comments: